Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Foreign Language / Latin Flashcards

My 8th grade student is taking a Latin class. She picked up a great tip there that my 12th grade student borrowed for his Spanish class.

Here's what you do. First, pick up some colored index cards from the office supply store. You'll need blue for masculine nouns, pink for feminine nouns, yellow for neuter nouns, and white for verbs.

On the front you write the word in English. On the back, you write the word in Latin and the declinations.

My son and daughter both say it's a pretty helpful exercise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my Latin high school students said she picked up a pre-bound packet of colored index cards -for under $3 - sold at Rite-Aid. The cards came in just those colors necessary to distinguish the masculine, feminine, neuter nouns and verbs. I believe she said you could also add to the deck of index cards. Check first with a phone call before you drive over to Rite-Aid. Not all of the stores carry this item.

Maureen said...

Thank you Cecilia! (My daughter's Latin teacher.)