Monday, March 20, 2006

Grocery Tip #5 – Stock Up On Loss Leaders

If you are going through your grocery sales ads every week as you make your menu and your grocery list, you are getting a pretty decent idea of the good sale prices. Beginning this week, keep a sharp eye out for loss-leaders.

Loss-leaders are sales items that are marked down way below the store's profit margin. They do this to entice you into their store and then get you to buy those high-end items, thus making a huge profit in the end. But you won't fall for that con game because you're making a list and sticking to it!

Take advantage of those loss-leaders by stocking up on them. If your family loves pasta, and macaroni is on sale for an unbelievable 25 cents, buy enough to last several months. Take advantage of any extra freezer space for meats and vegies. My husband built extra shelves for me in the garage for my stockpile of loss-leaders.

I've actually had people make funny remarks to me when they see me and the children pushing our grocery carts through the store with cases of loss-leaders, but I'm laughing all the way to the bank ;-).

No comments: