Thursday, December 28, 2006

How To: Microwaving Popcorn

This tip was sent in by Diane, a Thrifty Homeschooler member:

Long story, but I had promised popcorn tonight and couldn't face washing the pan. So, in the back of my mind, I remembered something about microwaving regular popcorn. I googled, and sure enough, there's plenty of suggestions out there. Everyone should pick what he or she would like to do best from the suggestions. It would probably take some experimenting to get one's microwave to match the container and amount of popcorn, but I think it is worth it. I chose the bowl route over the paper bag route so I could make enough.

In the bowl recipe I found, it suggests a paper plate as a cover. I tried the heavier duty plastic wrap, but that was a Bad Idea. It melted a bit. The popcorn was great. The paper plate does work better.

Also, I happened across articles talking about how unhealthy store bought microwave popcorn is. Well, that is so sad! I hope that if that is true, the manufacturers fix it, because I know a lot of people eat that a lot. I am just too thrifty to buy it, plus I think it tastes funny.

No comments: